Estimated reading time: 2 minutes
It’s a time of celebration! As La Leche League International (LLLI) celebrates its 60th anniversary, we join with World Alliance for Breastfeeding Action (WABA) in its 25th anniversary of the World Breastfeeding Week (WBW) campaign. This year’s emphasis is “working together for the common good.” The campaign marks an opportunity for us to work together in the protection, promotion, and support of breastfeeding worldwide!
WABA’s Warm Chain of Support for Breastfeeding campaign strives to link different breastfeeding supporters at all levels to provide a continuum of care for mothers and babies for the first 1,000 days. It begins long before the baby is born and continues up to 2 years old and beyond. Consistent messages and information throughout the warm chain will ensure the mother-baby dyad benefits from ongoing support and skilled assistance. Parents need to be empowered, and be protected from inconsistent information.
The LLLI Mission is to help mothers worldwide to breastfeed through mother-to-mother support, encouragement, information, and education, and to promote a better understanding of breastfeeding as an important element in the healthy development of the baby and mother.
The Mission can be achieved through working together with other organizations around the world that follow The International Code of Marketing of Breastmilk Substitutes.
Last year WABA grouped the United Nation’s 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) into four Thematic Areas that relate to each other and to breastfeeding.
- Nutrition, Food Security and Poverty Reduction
- Survival, Health and Wellbeing
- Environment and Climate Change
- Women’s Productivity and Employment
To accomplish these goals together, LLLI will continue to work as a part of the Warm Chain of Support to:
- Inform –Understand the importance of working together across the four Thematic Areas
- LLLI and each local LLL group can be a valuable source of support and information for parents about four Thematic Areas.
- Anchor- Recognize our role and the difference we make within our area of work
- LLLI Leaders/peer counselors are agents of change and transformation in their communities, providing breastfeeding education and support.
- Engage-Reach out to others to establish areas of common interest
- LLLI and each local LLL group can provide safe spaces for families of every kind to share own experiences and to access to consistent evidence-based breastfeeding and lactation information.
- Galvanize- Work together to achieve the Sustainable Development Goals (SDG) by 2030
- The LLLI network connects breastfeeding families with accredited Leaders/peer counselors and healthcare professionals around the world who encourage and support families to attain their own breastfeeding goals.
Please let WABA know if you are organizing an event for World Breastfeeding Week to demonstrate your commitment to the importance of the Warm Chain of Support for Breastfeeding. Your event will be listed on the WBW 2017 website so others in your area can join.
To learn more about WBW, please visit the website. While there, you can also check out the Action Folder, Insert, other WBW materials, translations and related resources.
Learn more about La Leche League International here.